- post-graduates with a Bachelor's degree who wish to study in a Master's programme at a German university (max. 24 months). Tuition fees for fee-based Master's programmes can be funded in exceptional cases.
- young scientists who want to complete a doctoral degree in Germany (max. 36 months)
- young scientists who are studying for a doctoral degree or a postdoctoral qualification (habilitation) and plan to come to Germany for a research stay (up to 12 months)
- post-graduates who, after completing their exams in their home country, wish to undertake a research stay or deepen their existing scientific knowledge in Germany, or who wish to pursue a non-consecutive graduate or additional course of study (this also applies to further training for licensed medical practitioners)
- university teachers planning research stays (up to 6 months) in Germany
- Master's students who plan a study stay (up to 6 months) to research material at a higher education institution in Germany
The KAAD expects eligible candidates to complete preparatory German courses in their home country. In addition, candidates can apply for a language course (full-time or during studies).