Candidates are international students from all subjects (except the medical disciplines) who have been admitted to a doctoral programme at a German higher education institution. They come from countries in the Global South (Asia, Africa, Latin America), post-Soviet states as well as eastern and south-eastern European (EU) countries. Eligibility criteria include an excellent school and academic record and voluntary social and political involvement. Scholars are paid the amount of 1,200 EUR per month over a period of 2, at maximum 3 years. The scholarship also entails comprehensive non-material support.
Anybody who has been unconditionally accepted for a doctorate at a German institution of higher education is invited to apply – except the medical disciplines. Eligible applicants come from countries in the Global South (Asia, Africa, Latin America), post-Soviet states as well as eastern and south-eastern European (EU) countries.
- admission to a doctoral programme at a state or state-recognised higher education institution in Germany
- sufficient knowledge of German, although the courses are held in English. This means a "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" of at least DSH level 2, a "Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache" of at least level 4, a "Zertifikat C 1" by a Goethe Institute, the "Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz" at level II or a "Telc C1 Hochschule"
Number of Scholarships
about 15 scholarships per year
2, at maximum 3 years. In justified exceptional cases, funding can also be granted for more than 3 years, but no longer than the final examination.
- 1,200 EUR per month
- networking within student- and working groups
- comprehensive seminar programme
- participation in symposia
Application forms and further information on the application procedure can be found here
Applications may be submitted at any time; there are, however, specific timelines which are detailed here